- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Serves 2-3
This spicy potato curry makes an ideal accompaniment to an Indian meal. Use a firm variety like Desiree so that the potato holds its shape while cooking. For a change you could also try adding some cooked cauliflower or shredded spinach in the last few minutes of cooking.
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 tbsp oil, (sunflower oil carries spices well)
- ¼ tsp whole mustard seeds
- 1 green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (more if you like it fiery)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Small handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Sea salt and black pepper to season
- 1Peel the potatoes then cut in to large dice and boil or steam for 10 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- 2Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat setting. To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few mustard seeds. If they pop the oil is ready.
- 3Add the remainder of the mustard seeds. Then add the chilli and turmeric powder to the sizzling seeds.
- 4Fry this pungent mixture of oil and spices for a minute or so, then add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes to soften.
- 5Add the potatoes and fry gently for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently so that the potatoes are smothered in seeds, and have a crispy golden coating.
- 6When the potatoes are cooked, stir in the coriander and serve.