- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 1 hour and 40 minutes
- Serves 3-4
The perfect winter warmer.Our creamy potato bake is the ideal accompaniment to any meal - or a meal in itself - providing a rich and filling treat during the cold British winter months.
- 4 large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 12 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Around 300ml chicken stock
- 100ml cream
- 300ml sour cream
- A large handful of fresh dill or fennel tops, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1On a low heat gently cook the shallots in the olive oil, 1 tablespoon of butter and the honey, stirring now and again. It should take around 30 minutes to go a beautiful rich golden brown colour.
- 2Meanwhile cover the potatoes with chicken stock and boil for around 15-20 minutes, or until they’re tender. Drain the stock off and reserve it for later, then mash the potatoes with most of the rest of the butter and the dill.
- 3Mix the beaten egg with 100ml of sour cream and add to the mash. Mix in well and add enough chicken stock to make a ‘loose’ mash (almost a thick batter texture) as it will thicken in the oven. Season to taste.
- 4Using the remaining butter, coat the inside of an oven-proof dish then add half the potato mixture. Spread the caramelised shallots in a layer over the potatoes then add the rest of the potato. Top with the remaining sour cream.
- 5Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 25 minutes at 180ºC and finish off under a hot grill for a deliciously golden top.