- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 45 minutes
- Serves 4
Quick & easy
An easy to make vegetarian centrepiece dish using ready-made puff pastry, potatoes, shallots, mushrooms and blue cheese.This delicious recipe is on the table within 30 minutes - as the potatoes, shallots and mushrooms can be cooked ahead of time. A perfect time-saver recipe over the festive period.
- 250g-300g small to medium potatoes (Charlotte or any white salad potatoes work well), (about 250g) boiled in their skins
- 350g ready-made puff pastry
- 25g butter
- 6 shallots, peeled and diced
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced or halved
- 150g blue cheese, such as Stilton
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1Fry the shallots and mushrooms in the butter until the mushrooms are cooked and the shallots are translucent and soft.
- 2If you haven’t already cooked the potatoes, boil two large potatoes in salted water until they’re soft. Drain them and allow to cool. When they are completely cool, peel and cut into thick slices.
- 3Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6. Grease or line a pizza tray or pizza stone.
- 4Roll out the puff pastry into a large circle on a floured board.
- 5Spoon half of the shallot and mushroom mixture on to the puff pastry circle, leaving a two-inch border around the edge. Arrange half of the potato slices on top.
- 6Spoon the remaining shallot and mushroom mixture and the remaining potatoes over the top.
- 7Scatter the blue cheese over the topping with some fresh thyme leaves. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 8Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown, and cheese has melted.
- 9Allow to cool for two to three minutes before cutting into slices and serving with coleslaw and salad.