- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 30 minutes (plus 2-3 hours to marinade)
- Cooking Time
- 20 minutes
- Serves 6
"These simple and delicious kebabs are a real favourite of mine, and now is the perfect time to make them. I think it’s the combination of textures and flavours that make them so special. I like to use fresh Cornish New potatoes and a good spicy chorizo as well as hand-dived scallops, which are sweet, meaty and succulent" - Gill Meller. Recipe created for Seasonal Spuds, by Gill Meller.If using wooden skewers, pre-soak them in water for 30 minutes to help stop them catching and burning on the grill.
- 12 hand dived scallops
- 200g chorizo sausage
- 400g New/Baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 4 – 5 sprigs of thyme leaves, picked and chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped
- A few chives, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cut the potatoes in half or larger ones in quarters. Place them in a pan with plenty of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook until the potatoes are just tender then drain them and allow to cool.
- 2Slice the chorizo sausage into 3cm thick rounds and place it into a large bowl with the scallops and the potatoes.
- 3Add the chives, rosemary and thyme, along with the olive oil and some salt and black pepper.
- 4Carefully turn the ingredients together then pop the fridge to marinate for 2–3 hours, or overnight.
- 5Assemble the kebabs in the following order – potato, chorizo, potato, scallop, potato, chorizo, potato scallop. Just be careful with the potatoes as they can split if you’re too rough with them.
- 6When you’re ready to cook the kebabs you need to prepare your fire. You want lovely hot glowing embers so the kebabs cook fairly quickly. When the fire is ready, set a grill over it; it’s reached the right temperature when you can hover your hand above the grill for a maximum of 1 second.
- 7Lay the kebabs on the grill and cook for 4–5 minutes on each side, keeping a close eye on them and not letting them burn.
- 8Serve the kebabs straight away with a squeeze of lemon and some good mayonnaise.