- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 25 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 40 minutes
- Serves 12
Quick & easy
These delicious savoury muffins are made with cornmeal and mashed potatoes and are gluten free.The mashed potatoes and bacon can be cooked ahead of time for ease, and leftover potatoes can also be used. Use mature Cheddar cheese for extra flavour. Serve warm with fried eggs, or with a full cooked breakfast.
- 200g mashed potatoes, cooled (Maris Piper or any other good all-rounder works well)
- 85g melted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 180g smoked lardons, or streaky bacon
- 150g cornmeal or polenta
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 184ml pot buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g extra mature Cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C / Gas 6 and brush a 12-hole muffin tin with some of the melted butter, or line with paper muffin cases.
- 2Boil 200g of peeled potatoes until they are very soft, mash with a little milk and allow to cool complete before using.
- 3Fry the bacon lardons in a little oil until cooked and crispy.
- 4Mix the mashed potatoes, bacon lardons, cornmeal and baking powder together.
- 5Then add the melted butter, beaten eggs and buttermilk. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 6Divide the mixture between the greased muffin holes or muffin cases, they will be quite full.
- 7Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until they are golden brown.
- 8Allow to cool slightly before serving warm.