- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 55 minutes
- Serves 4-6
This tasty Herby New Potato, feta, spinach and filo pie is filled with fresh Cornish New potatoes, crisp spinach and crumbly feta.The delicious recipe was created for us by Gabriella English.
- 500g Cornish New potatoes, cut into 1cm chunks
- 500g spinach
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 3 leeks, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 200g feta, crumbled
- Small pack of dill, roughly chopped
- ½ a small pack fresh mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Generous grating of fresh nutmeg
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
You will also need:
- A 20cm springform cake tin
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the leek and new potatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks are starting to soften, 5 minutes. Add a splash of water, cover with a lid and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12-15 minutes. Stir regularly and add a little more water if the pan starts to dry out. Lower the heat as necessary.
- 2Meanwhile, fill and boil your kettle. Add the spinach to a large colander in your sink and pour over the freshly boiled water until the spinach is all wilted. Press out as much excess liquid as possible then pat dry in kitchen paper to remove as much moisture as possible.
- 3Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C) gas mark 6. Once the potatoes and leeks are cooked, transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool. Grease the base and sides of a 20cm springform cake tin with olive oil.
- 4Add the spinach, feta, dill, mint, lemon zest, nutmeg and eggs to the bowl with the potato and leek. Season generously. Layer up 7 sheets of filo in the cake tin, brushing a little oil between each sheet, making sure the layers overlap and leaving overhanging pastry over the edges. Transfer the potato mixture to the centre of this then top with the final filo sheet. Bring the edges of the filo in to cover the topping and brush with a little extra olive oil. Scatter over the sesame seeds, transfer to a baking sheet and bake on the top shelf of your oven for 35-40 minutes, until deep golden brown.
- 5Once cooked, leave to cool slightly in the tin before removing and serving.