- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 1 hour
- Serves 4
This nutty and earthy salad is packed with vitamins and minerals. If you want to make it more substantial, you could add some cubed goats’ cheese just before serving.
- 400g New/Baby potatoes
- 300g fresh beetroot, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 40g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 20g chives, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp cider/balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C / fan 200˚C / gas 7.
- 2Place the beetroot on a sheet of foil and wrap it tightly, crimping the ends to form a pouch. Place on a baking tray, then put into the oven on the middle shelf for 30 minutes.
- 3Wash and dry the potatoes, then cut them in half lengthways. Add the oil, with a little salt and pepper to a roasting tray and lay the potatoes cut side down on the tray. Put them into the oven once the beetroot has had 30 minutes.
- 4Cook the potatoes and beetroot for 15 more minutes, then turn the potatoes and sprinkle over the walnuts.
- 5Cook for a further 5/10 minutes until the walnuts are toasted, the potatoes are golden and crispy, and the beetroot is tender when pierced.
- 6Remove the beetroot and potatoes from the oven. Take the beetroot out of the foil and leave to cool on a plate.
- 7Once cooled, rub the beetroot with kitchen towel to remove the skin and cut each one into wedges.
- 8Place the potatoes, walnuts and beetroot in a dish, and toss together with the chives and vinegar.