- Skill level
- More ambitious
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 50 minutes
- Serves 20
Recreate these school dinner favourites at home and spruce them up by adding cheddar cheese and Serrano ham. Another delicious way to use up leftover mash, too!
- 800g potatoes (Maris Piper or Desiree work best)
- 100g cheddar cheese, 60g grated and 40g cut into small cubes
- 5 slices Serrano ham
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 150g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Light oil spray
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1Peel and half the potatoes and cook in a large pan of salted boiling water until soft, for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- 2Pre-heat the oven to 220°C.
- 3Drain and mash the potatoes and allow to cool slightly. Season and add the 60g of grated cheese and mix through.
- 4Tear the Serrano ham into small pieces. Take a small ball of the potato mash and flatten into an oval shape in the palm of your hand. Place a small amount of the Serrano ham and a cube of cheese in the middle. Fold the mash into itself ensuring the ham and cheese are tucked inside. Repeat until you have formed all of the croquettes.
- 5Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs each separate plates, or in shallow bowls. Mix the olive oil through the breadcrumbs (this ensures a nice golden finish to the croquettes that you would normally get from frying).
- 6Take each croquette one at a time and roll in the flour, then the beaten egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- 7Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and spray with a light oil spray. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, turning half-way through, until golden.