- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Quick & easy
These roast baby potatoes are par-boiled, then smashed with a spoon before roasting with spices and herbs.By smashing them before roasting it creates lots of crispy bits of potato, with a delicious spicy coating crumb. Get ahead by boiling the potatoes the night before you plan to cook and serve them.
- 600g Baby/New salad potatoes, skin on
- 2 to 3 tablespoons British rapeseed oil or olive oil
For the herb and spice mixture
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary (1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1Wash and parboil the potatoes for about five to six minutes in salted water. Drain well.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6. After five minutes add a large roasting tray with the oil and heat up in the oven until the oil is very hot.
- 3Meanwhile, “smash” the cooked potatoes with the back of a spoon, so the potatoes are split and squashed.
- 4Add the herb and spice mixture to the potatoes and mix well, coating all the potatoes with it.
- 5Take the roasting tin out of the oven and add the potatoes, turning them over in the hot oil.
- 6Roast for 30 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and golden. Tip: Shake the roasting tray three or four times during cooking to ensure they all cook evenly for an even crispness.
- 7Serve immediately with roast poultry, beef, pork, ham etc.