- Skill level
- Serves 6
- 660g red cabbage
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion or 2 banana shallots, finely sliced or chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tbs runny honey
- 80ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sherry or Vermouth
- 1Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 180°C / Gas 6.
- 2Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the white core. Chop the cabbage leaves into chunky shreds.
- 3Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan. When hot, add the onion/shallots and fry gently until softened.
- 4Stir in the spices. Add the cabbage and fry for 5 - 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until glossy.
- 5Stir in the apples, vinegar, honey and sherry.
- 6Tip into a large lidded casserole dish and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is cooked and tender.