- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 30 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 10-15 minutes
- Serves 4
Quick & easy
These easy-to-make Scottish potato scones complement any traditional breakfast and are a lighter alternative to bread.
- 500g white potatoes (Maris Piper work well)
- 50g salted butter plus 10g for frying
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1Peel and chop the potatoes and boil until soft.
- 2Mash the potatoes with the butter and salt.
- 3In a bowl combine the flour and baking powder and add the mash. Using your hands combine it all together to form a dough.
- 4On a well-floured board roll out the dough to the thickness of a pound coin.
- 5Use a large side plate as a template and cut out circles.
- 6Score each circle into quarters (but keep as a whole).
- 7Heat a large frying pan and add a small knob of butter. Once melted, lightly fry on a medium heat each circle, turning halfway through.
- 8Once cooked, separate the quarters and serve with topping of choice - we recommend black pudding and egg, or spinach and egg).