- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 25 minutes, plus 30 minutes resting
- Cooking Time
- 20-25 minutes
- Serves Makes 25-30
A recreation of the classic school favourite, these potato smiley faces are the perfect comfort food without the added guilt.
- 800g potatoes (Maris Piper works well)
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1Peel and boil the potatoes until soft. Mash and place in a bowl.
- 2Combine the salt with the breadcrumbs and add to the mash.
- 3Add the beaten egg and mix through to form a very wet dough.
- 4Sieve in the flour and cornflour and use your hands to form a dough. If it is too wet add a little more flour.
- 5Cover and place in the fridge for 30 mins or longer. Dough can be made in advance and kept in fridge until required.
- 6Preheat oven to 180˚C / Fan 160°C / Gas 4.
- 7Place a sheet of baking paper on a board and sprinkle a generous amount of flour on it. Roll out the dough to the thickness of a pound coin.
- 8Using a round cookie cutter, cut out the circles and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- 9Use a straw to make the holes for the eyes and a tbsp to make the mouth.
- 10Place in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- 11Use different shaped cookie cutters (eg Christmas trees and stars) for various festive seasons.