- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Preparation Time
- 15 Minutes plus 30 minutes chilling time
- Cooking Time
- 45 minutes
- Serves 4
Tickle your taste buds and get creative with this meat-free sweet potato burger.Filled with nutritious cashews and chickpeas, this vegetarian burger is as appetising as it looks without the added guilt.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas
- 20 cashew nuts, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 40g fresh coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 80g breadcrumbs
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan or Italian hard cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 brioche buns
- Salt & pepper to season
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Cheddar cheese
- Tomato slices
- Roasted red pepper
- Sliced beetroot
- Crème fraiche with 2 tsp. harissa paste mixed through
- 1Pre-heat oven to 180°C Peel and grate the sweet potato onto an oven tray and place in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- 2Drain and rinse the chick peas. Place in a food processor and blitz until almost smooth
- 3Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and add the cashew nuts, spices, coriander, spring onion, chilli and garlic and season.
- 4Once the sweet potatoes have cooled add these to the other ingredients and use your hands to combine.
- 5Divide the mixture into 4 and form into burgers.
- 6Gently dip each burger into the beaten egg. Combine together the breadcrumbs and parmesan and roll the burgers until coated.
- 7Place the burgers on a lined baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- 8Pre-heat the oven again to 180°C.
- 9Drizzle the vegetable oil into a frying pan and gently fry the burgers on each side until golden. Place the burgers on the baking tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- 10Assemble the burgers in the buns with preferred toppings.