- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Preparation Time
- 1 hour
- Cooking Time
- 1 hour
- Serves 4 - 6
Here's a delicious vegan curry that incorporates some exquisite flavours and spices.
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 2tsp coriander seeds
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 large potatoes (Desiree, or another firm variety works well)
- Large piece of ginger (peeled)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 5 large aubergines
- 3 onions
- 6 large buffalo tomatoes
- Pomegranate seeds
- 1.5 tsp cardamom pods
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 4 dried birds eye chillies
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1Grind the fennel seeds coriander seeds, chilli flakes and salt and pepper together.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180˚C / Fan 160˚C / Gas 4. Cut the cauliflower up into small florets and place on a baking tray rub with half of the ground spices and olive oil then wrap in foil. Place in the preheated oven for 40 minutes removing the foil for the last 20 minutes.
- 3Dice the potatoes into 2cm x 2cm dice and par boil them until slightly soft.
- 4Chop the ginger and garlic up as small as possible put to one side half of this and mix the other half into the ground spices.
- 5In each aubergine make deep incisions along the length of the aubergines so it almost fans out. Fill the gaps with the ginger and spice mix and drizzle oil over the top. Place in the same oven as the cauliflower for half an hour.
- 6Grind all the ingredients for the spice blend.
- 7Chop the onions and tomatoes.
- 8In a large pan place the dry spice blend and place on the heat, roast the spice blend for a couple of minutes and then add some oil and the onions. Cook them until they soften and start to colour.
- 9Reduce the heat and add the tomatoes and the remaining ginger and garlic.
- 10When the tomatoes have softened add the vegetable stock and let simmer for 40 minutes.
- 11In a bowl tip the whole tin of chickpeas including the water, using a stick blender blend the chickpeas into a paste and add to the curry.
- 12Take the aubergine and cut into bite size pieces and stir into the curry along with the cauliflower and potatoes
- 13Serve in a large bowl with pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.