- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 30 minutes (the night before)
- Cooking Time
- 20 minutes
- Serves 4
- Main meal
Try our alternative breakfast cakes for an indulgent start to your day.
- 500g potatoes (Desiree works well, but any creamy all-rounder would be fine)
- 6 spring onions
- 2 tbsp of plain flour
- 2 knobs of butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 pack of smoked salmon
- A fresh bunch of chives
- 1Peel and quarter the potatoes. Then boil them until slightly soft but still slightly firm. Leave them to cool and then grate into mixing bowl.
- 2Thinly slice the spring onions and add them to the potato along with the plain flour, salt and pepper and half of the butter.
- 3Divide into four balls and press flat into patties. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight or for as long as possible.
- 4Heat a frying pan and melt the butter. Fry the potato cakes for 5 - 10 minutes on each side but keep a close eye that they don’t burn.
- 5While the cakes are cooking boil some water on the hob with a splash of cider vinegar. Once boiling take off the heat and gently add the eggs, keep the pan off the heat and place the lid on for a further 4 minutes or until the eggs are poached. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and dry on some kitchen roll.
- 6Place the cooked potato cakes onto a plate and top with the salmon, then top the salmon with the poached eggs. Chop the chives thinly and sprinkle over the top and season with salt and pepper.