- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 30 minutes, plus 30 minutes chilling time
- Cooking Time
- 20 minutes
- Serves 16
These witches fingers are as tasty as they are spooky and are a great plant-based option.Made with mashed sweet potato and almonds to create the nails. Serve with ketchup for an extra dash of Halloween fun.
- 750g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 40g vegetarian hard cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp paprika
- A pinch chilli flakes
- 16 blanched whole almonds
- Tomatillo salsa, to serve
- 1Boil the sweet potato chunks in salted water for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- 2Drain and allow to steam dry for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Place into a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- 3Place into a bowl and add the cheese, butter, cornflour, paprika, chilli flakes and season generously with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mash until smooth then allow to cool before chilling in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat the oven to 200ºC / 180ºC fan / gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- 5Fill a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle, with the mashed sweet potato. Pipe 16 fingers onto the prepared baking tray. Place a blanched almond at the tip of each of the fingers and use a knife to mark three lines in the centre of each for the knuckles.
- 6Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Serve warm with a bowl of tomatillo salsa to dip in to.