- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Preparation Time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 15 minutes
- Serves 2
Emma Hatcher has created this fresh take on a bright much-loved salad, but with a bit of extra tang from capers, lemon-spiked yogurt and quick pickled fennel.Eating it will make you instantly want to be on a picnic blanket in the sunshine. It also makes for a great packed lunch.
- 400g new potatoes
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g watercress
- 200g hot smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped
For the quick pickled fennel:
- 100g fennel
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1Cut any large potatoes in half. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the potatoes. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- 2To make the quick pickled fennel, thinly slice the fennel and add to a bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and sugar and massage well for a few minutes before squeezing out any excess moisture.
- 3Move to a clean bowl, pour over the vinegar, stir well and leave to one side until ready to serve.
- 4To make the lemon yogurt, combine the yogurt with the zest of ½ the lemon and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir through 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and season to taste.
- 5Once cooked, drain the potatoes well, tip into a mixing bowl and season immediately with salt and pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and leave to cool.
- 6To serve, divide the lemon yogurt between 2 plates, spreading it out with the back of a spoon. Toss the potatoes lightly with the watercress, hot smoked salmon and capers and place on top of the yogurt. Spoon over the pickled fennel and finish with a final drizzle of extra-virgin olive and a few lemon wedges.