- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serves 4
You will need a donut or loaf tin for this festive nut roast, made with lentils, aubergine, potatoes, chestnut mushrooms and plenty of fresh sage. It will make a beautiful Christmas centrepiece and a tasty vegetarian alternative to turkey.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 an aubergine, chopped into small cubes
- 2-3 chestnut mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 100g red lentils
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 500g white potatoes (Maris Piper or similar), peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 50g cashew nuts
- 50g hazelnuts
- 50g whole cooked chestnuts
- 3 slices of white bread
- 60g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease the tin
- 1Finely chop the onion in olive oil until soft.
- 2Add the aubergine to the onion and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- 3Half and slice the mushrooms and add to the frying pan. Fry for a further 2 minutes then add the red lentils and garlic. Combine all the ingredients together.
- 4Add the potato cubes to the pan along with the 300ml of boiling vegetable stock. Add the fresh chopped sage and turn the heat down low and allow to simmer until the stock has been absorbed. This should take 20-25 minutes. Stir regularly.
- 5Preheat the oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas 4.
- 6Dry fry the cashew nuts and hazelnuts for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool then, along with the chestnuts, roughly chop.
- 7Once the stock has been absorbed transfer the mixture to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- 8Cut the crusts off the bread and blitz into breadcrumbs.
- 9Once the mixture has cooled add the breadcrumbs, grated cheese, chopped nuts, finely chopped parsley and the beaten egg. Combine all the ingredients together and season.
- 10Lightly oil the baking tin (either a donut tin or loaf tin) and transfer the mixture - making sure it’s packed down to the bottom.
- 11Place the tin on a baking tray and cover with foil. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove the foil and cook for a further 20 minutes or until cooked through and golden.