- Skill level
- Preparation Time
- 15 minutes (plus 1/2 hour to marinade)
- Cooking Time
- 20-25 minutes
- Serves 2
Bursting with flavour, these potato and shawarma chicken flatbreads are drizzled with natural yoghurt and tahini - they're best cooked on the barbecue, if the sun is shining.
- 350g Shetland Black potatoes (or any other firm New/Baby variety)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 20ml olive oil
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 flatbreads
- 1/2 bag of 30g rocket
- 20g pickled turnip (optional)
- 2 tbsp shawarma mix (pre prepared or homemade)
Shawarma mix (make a small batch to use again)
- 2 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Mix all the spices together and keep in a small jar
- 1Place a large pan of salted water onto the boil and par boil the potatoes (whole) for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and allow to cool.
- 2Cut the chicken breasts into long strips and place in a zip lock bag.
- 3Place the olive oil in a small bowl and stir in the shawarma spices.
- 4Once the potatoes have cooled slightly cut into 1/2 cm slices and add these to the chicken. Pour over the shawarma mixture and mix into the chicken. Marinade for at least 1/2 hour.
- 5Place the potato slices and chicken strips onto 4 skewers.
- 6Place on a hot barbecue and cook until nicely charred, make sure to turn them frequently.
- 7Stir the tahini into the yoghurt.
- 8Once the skewers are cooked, heat the flatbreads for one minute on each side on the barbecue.
- 9Assemble the dish by spreading over some of the yoghurt/tahini, sprinkle over rocket and place the skewers on top. Top with the pickled turnip if using.