- Skill level
- Keen cook
- Preparation Time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking Time
- 35 minutes
- Serves 4
Cornish mackerel and Cornish New potatoes make the perfect pairing. This dish is ideal for sharing with family and friends.
- 4 Cornish mackerel fillets
- 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced
- 600g Cornish New potatoes
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 8 tbsp Cornish clotted cream
- 4 tsp English mustard
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1Preheat the oven to 200oC (fan 180oC). Give the potatoes a wash and then simmer them in salted water for 7 minutes and drain.
- 2Meanwhile, fry the fish gently in a little olive oil, skin down, then place in a medium-sized baking dish. Fry the aubergine slices in the same pan, adding more oil if needed, allowing the fish flavours to soak into them.
- 3Layer the fried aubergine slices on top of the fish. Slice the potatoes and layer on top of the aubergines.
- 4Whisk all the ingredients for the sauce together and pour generously over the fish mixture. Scatter the breadcrumbs over the top and place in the oven.
- 5Bake for 15–20 minutes or until the breadcrumbs have gone golden and crispy.
- 6Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with a wedge of lemon and your choice of green veg or salad.