Cooking a Sunday dinner or a mid-week roast for the family can often leave you making too many spuds, but don’t be tempted to throw them out or store them in the fridge for days on end.
Potatoes are one of the most versatile vegetables, they can be mashed, boiled, baked, roasted or fried and we’ve got plenty of ideas to use up your leftover mash. Whether it’s a souffle, a potato hash or bubble and squeak, your leftovers don’t have to go to waste.
How to use up leftover mashed potatoes
These tasty breakfast recipes are a great way to use up last night’s potatoes and they make plenty to feed the whole family, or even a hearty brunch for two.
- These alternative breakfast potato cakes are a great way to start the day, add smoked salmon and poached eggs for a filling breakfast
- Use up any cooked potatoes with this bacon and mushroom hash, it’s perfect for a late morning bite
- You could even use your leftover mash to make these tasty tattie scones for a brekkie treat
Leftover mashed potato lunch ideas
Don’t let your extra mashed potato go to waste, instead try one of our comforting recipes. Make a simple mash or reinvent it with some new flavours.
- Get creative with your mash and try our souffled potato with Porcini mushrooms, they’re gluten-free and vegetarian and it’s a delicious lunchtime snack
- Reheat your mash, add plenty of salt and pepper and serve it with sausages or a piece of chicken with veg, or why not mix it up with wholegrain mustard and Parmesan.
- Here’s a spicy twist on bubble & squeak – Bombay bubble & squeak bites, these tasty cakes are loaded with Brussels sprouts, pancetta and plenty of flavour